Yaroslavl community in Estonia

Venelased Eestis
Vasta
Duque Alba

Yaroslavl community in Estonia

Postitus Postitas Duque Alba »

Dear forum participants,

does anybody of you know anything about the community of the natives of Yaroslavl government (Ярославская губерния) in Estonia. I read that in the 19th - early 20th century there were many people from that Russian province, especially from Rostovsky district (Ростовский уезд), in Tallinn. Many of them were gardeners. It is also possible that they formed a kind of community for the mutual help, as they did, for example, in Saint-Petersburg.

I would be very grateful for any information about this community.
Xerxes

Re: Yaroslavl community in Estonia

Postitus Postitas Xerxes »

My Russian grandmother was from Rybinsk but she never mentioned anything about a community of that kind. She lived in Tallinn from 1938 until her death in the 1970'ies. Before that she lived in Valga. She immigrated to Estonia in the beginning of the 1920'ies.
Duque Alba

Postitus Postitas Duque Alba »

Most probably, this community disappeared after Estonia became independent, since many people emigrated back to Russia. My great-great-grandfather came to Estonia in 1880s from Yaroslavskaya gubernia. He had several children, including my greatgrandfather. However, all of them left Estonia after 1917.

I know also that, when living in Estonia, my great-great-grandfather was maintaining contacts with other people who came from Yaroslavskaya gubernia. In particular, he invited them to be the godparents of his children.

Кстати, поскольку я не владею эстонским, мне приходится изъясняться с участниками форума на других языках. Какой язык понятнее всего: русский, английский или немецкий?

P.S. Если Ваша бабушка родилась в Рыбинске, то Вам, возможно, было бы небезынтересно ознакомиться с форумом Ярославского историко-родословного общества:
http://forum.yar-genealogy.ru/index.php ... 83&act=idx
Katsa

Postitus Postitas Katsa »

If there was such a community in Tallinn, you should find their birth, marriage and death records in the church books of one or many Russian orthodox churches of Tallinn. Unfortunately those books are not yet available in Saaga. But I hope they will be there in the nearest future.

Please feel free to choose your communication language - English, Russian or German will do perfectly well.
Katrin H.
Vasta

Mine “Venelased”