Sörgepärra

Perekonna ajaloo alased küsimused ja vastused, mis ei sobi geograafiliste või olemasolevate temaatiliste foorumite alla
Vasta
helene

Sörgepärra

Postitus Postitas helene »

What is the translation of sörgepärra or sõrgepärra?

Surnud
14/1 1829 Lohjalt Tio, Sörgepärra Hanso N

Helene
rexu

Postitus Postitas rexu »

I think there is not any meaning, it is just the name of the house from Lohja region, Lohja is a region in Lääne-Virumaa.
As you know, in old times Estonians did not have surnames, they only had firstnames, fathers names and then also house name was used.
helene

Postitus Postitas helene »

Tere Rexu
I think there is not any meaning, it is just the name of the house from Lohja region, Lohja is a region in Lääne-Virumaa
I am not quite sure if I agree.
I think it means something.
Lohja was an inn at Hara Laht in those days. Today it is a house in Hara küla.
Hans was living in Klaukse talu, Uuri küla.

Hans had probably left his wife Tio for a much younger woman and had at least 3 children with his new woman.
Can the word "sörgepärra" have something to do with that?
rexu

it was just my opinion

Postitus Postitas rexu »

Hi!
It was just my opinion; you don’t have to take it seriously, if you think differently. I am not a professional in that area and especially not in that region. My own roots are in the Southern Estonia.

But just that you understand what I meant, I also have weird names in my roots, for example: Tolmatzi Adam, Kokke Jacob, Koljokrisa Andres, Sikka Juhhan, Humma Jan. And those names are also impossible to translate.

Sõrgepärra definitely does not have that meaning, what you described.
There is not such word in Estonian language, at least not today.
But if you still want to translate it, then look in the dictionary:
Sõrg can be chela, pincer
Pera, pära can be afterpart, upstage of the ship or it is something, which is left over; actually there can be many meanings.

I also doubt that it was possible that husband left his wife and took a younger woman; at least in my practice I haven’t found such cases. For my understanding in those times one could marry a new wife only when the previous wife was dead. But I am not historian of course, maybe it was possible.

One more thing – this Tio, Hans’ wife was 87 years old when she died, might it be that they had a son Hans, who had the young wife?

I wish you a good luck in your investigations. 8)
Regina
Vasta

Mine “Perekonna ajalugu (üldküsimused)”